Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

How Do You Know if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned?

Our South Salem veterinarians understand that dogs enjoy gnawing on things they shouldn't. As a responsible pet owner, you must be able to recognize the early signs of poisoning in your dog and know what to do if your dog exhibits poisoning symptoms.

Dog Poisoning

Unintentional poisoning is the most common cause of dog poisoning. Our family pets have frequently gotten into things they shouldn't have, leaving worried dog owners unsure what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even just eaten treats that just aren't suitable for dog metabolisms.

Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs

Your home and garden are full of potentially toxic or poisonous items for your dog. That's why it's critical to always know where your dog is and to keep potentially harmful substances out of your curious dog's reach.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

You might be wondering 'how can I tell if my dog has been poisoned?" Depending on the type of poison, the first signs of a dog being poisoned vary tremendously but fall into a few categories: 

  • Symptoms caused by swallowed poisons can include vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and heart issues.
  • Inhaled toxins may cause breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness in dogs.
  • If your dog's skin comes in contact with a poisonous substance typical symptoms include irritation and pain.

It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take a number of days to appear, and in some cases could even take months. 

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous, seek medical attention right away. The fact that your dog shows no symptoms right away does not mean that they are immune to the poisonous substance's effects!

Some of the long-term symptoms of your dog coming in contact with poisonous substances include irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, loss of blood, and neurological symptoms such as seizures.

What To Do If You Think Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If your dog has been poisoned stay calm and call your South Salem emergency vet, immediately.

Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, it may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.

Do not attempt to provide first aid to your dog. Different poisonous substances necessitate various responses. While inducing vomiting may be necessary for some circumstances, it can also make your dog sicker. Bring your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible and allow your veterinarian to administer appropriate treatment.

If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If your dog is experiencing any symptoms of poisoning, come to our South Salem office right away. Our reliable and compassionate team of veterinary specialists is here for you and your pet.

New Patients Welcome

South Salem Animal Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of South Salem companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

Contact (914) 763-3123